Skip to content

Veterans Services

Veterans Services

What services does Union County offer its veterans?

Union County provides veterans and their families with the following assistance:

  • Benefit information and eligibility qualifications
  • Filing, reopening or appealing claims
  • Transportation to VA medical centers in North Carolina
  • Property tax exemptions for 100% permanent and total disabled veterans
  • Guidance regarding how to access state and federal resources such as burial resources and applying for veterans identification cards

What federal benefits are available and how can Union County help?

Federal VA benefits include, but are not limited to:

  • Assistance with claims for service-connected diseases or disabilities due to military service
  • Applying for VA pension
  • Health care
  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • VA education benefits
  • VA life insurance
  • VA home loan certificates
  • Burial information and benefits

What state benefits are available, and how can Union County help?

State benefits include, but are not limited to:

  • Scholarships for the children of disabled or deceased North Carolina veterans
  • Special hunting and fishing license based on disability percentage
  • Special license plates
  • Property tax exemption
  • State veterans cemeteries
  • State veterans nursing homes
  • County and State representation for claims at the VA Regional Office and Board of Veteran Appeals

How do I get in touch with a Veterans Affairs (VA) representative, VA hospital or clinic?

  • The VA general assistance line is 1-800-827-1000.
  • Click here for the VA Clinic Phone Directory (includes Salisbury and Charlotte VA Clinics).
  • The Salisbury VA Hospital can be reached at 1-800-469-8262
  • The Charlotte VA Health Care Center can be reached at 704-329-1300.
  • The Charlotte VA Outpatient Clinic can be reached at 704-597-3500.
  • The Union County Veterans Services Office is willing to assist with any of these contacts. Veterans Services Officers are trained and accredited in navigating these applications.
  • Another option is to register on the VA website so that you can have access to your information more quickly: Once registered on the website you can also use the secure, live instant messaging communication tool.

Veterans Services FAQs

How can I obtain a copy of my DD 214?
There are two ways: You must have access to a printer and a fax machine to send in signature verification. The process to obtain a DD 214 through this website may take up to five (5) weeks.

Once you obtain your DD 214, our office will hold on to a copy of it for you upon request so that you may access it easily in the future.


Am I able to receive healthcare at a VA clinic or hospital? How can I enroll to receive care?
You can apply for enrollment at The process will take about five weeks and after accepted, you can schedule an appointment usually four to six weeks out.

To ensure that those with less healthcare options receive the care that they need, income does play a part in determining who has access to clinic and hospital services. To learn more about financial qualifications, visit:


How do I get a Veterans Identification Card?
You can obtain a Veterans Identification Card at the VA Hospital in Charlotte or Salisbury; however, there are specific criteria that need to be met. To learn more about the criteria needed to obtain an ID card, visit:

You may also opt to get a Veteran identifier on your driver’s license.

Photo of some Union County veterans
Log in to keep track of your favorite resources.


Mailing Address:
500 N. Main Street
Monroe, NC 28112

407 N. Main Street
Monroe, NC 28112

Michelle Marcano
Veterans Services Director
Main Phone: 704-283-3807

Alternate Phone 1: 704-283-3744
Alternate Phone 2: 704-283-3769
Alternate Phone 3: 704-283-3771
Fax: 704-283-3850
VA Regional Office Phone: 1-800-827-1000
Crisis Hot Line: 1-800-273-8255, press 1


About Veterans Services

Our purpose is to provide Union County veterans access to federal, state and county benefits based on their service in the United States Armed Forces and auxiliary services. For the most efficient process, contact us first and we’ll help you connect easily with the VA resources you need.