Skip to content


Why can I not pull up mortgage information on the deed look‐up site?
The deed look‐up site is ONLY for deeds and plats. No mortgage information is available online.

How do I find out about outstanding liens (mechanics liens) and judgments?
Contact the Clerk of Court's office in the courthouse at (704) 698‐3100.

Can anyone access the information contained in the Register of Deeds Office?
Yes. The information in our office is public record. You can come in to access all records, but the Register of Deed’s website only has deeds from 1993 and plots from 1842 available.

How do I file separation papers?
You will need to see an attorney that will prepare the agreement and have it notarized properly. The fee to record is $26.00 for the first fifteen pages and $4.00 a page thereafter.

How do I add or remove names from a deed?
Deed name changes require the submittal of a new deed to the Register of Deeds office. We suggest that you consult an attorney unless you are familiar with creating legal documents.

How can I register a business or assumed name?
Filing fee for an assumed name is $26. Please visit the State of North Carolina's "Starting a Business in NC" page for more information and forms.

Can the Register of Deeds tell me who owns property at a specific address?
The Register of Deeds land records system is name‐based. To search for a property by address, Please contact the tax assessor's office at 704-283‐3746.

What is the excise tax calculation on a deed?
Aug. 1, 1991, to present...........$2 per thousand
1969 to July 1991.....................$1 per thousand
Prior to 1968.............................$1.10 per thousand

How can I obtain a birth, death or marriage certificate?
The Union County Register of Deeds office ONLY has certificates for the events that occurred IN Union County. A spouse, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild or self may request a certified copy of these certificates. You may come to the office with a valid photo ID, or you may request a copy online. If requesting online, you must state your relationship to the person whose certificate is requested. The cost for a certified copy is $10.00. All major credit cards, debit cards are accepted online and in person.

How do I obtain a reappointment for my Notary Public?
All Notary forms are available on the Secretary of State's website at When the Secretary of State approves your Notary commission, you will receive notice instructing you to appear in the Register of Deeds office to take your oath.

Do I need an appointment to take a notary public oath? What should I bring with me?
No appointment is necessary. Bring the Notary commission letter and your driver's license. There is a $10.00 fee which can be paid using a major credit or debit card or cash or money order.

What are the steps to get married?
Please see our resources under Marriage Requirements.

How do I change my name after marriage?
This matter is handled at the Social Security Administration. They are located at 2201 Coronation Boulevard, Charlotte, NC, 28277 or 1‐800‐772‐1213. You will need a certified copy of your marriage license from the Register of Deeds, for which the cost is $10.00. Payment can be made using a major credit or debit card or cash or money order.

How do I change my name for reasons other than marriage?
Contact the Clerk of Court's office at 704-698‐3100.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?
If the divorce was filed in Union County, then you can obtain a copy at the Clerk of Courts office, 704-698‐3100.

How do I add the father's name to the child's birth certificate?
If the parents are not married, they will need to have an affidavit of parentage filled out at the Health Department. Both parents need to go together with picture ID. If parents are married, please contact the Register of Deeds office at 704-283‐3610.

How do I amend my child's name on the birth certificate?
You will need to provide an early school record for proof of the correct spelling of the name. If the child is under school age, you may need to provide hospital record or immunization record. Please call the Register of Deeds office for further information at 704-283‐3610.

Who can obtain a copy of their DD214?
The veteran or the spouse of the veteran.