Skip to content

Can I File A Claim with Customer Service?

Claim FAQs

What is the claim process?

Your claim will be acknowledged by Union County Public Works Customer Service within one business day. The claim will then either be handled internally by Customer Service or turned over to the County’s Risk Manager.

How will I be contacted about my claim and its progress?

Your claim will be acknowledged by Union County Public Works Customer Service within one business day. If the claim is turned over to Risk Management, the County’s Risk Manager will contact you within 1-2 business days. You will be provided contact information and are welcome to follow up on the status of your claim at any time.

How long does the claim process take?

Depending on the nature of the claim, the claims process may take from several days to several weeks to investigate.

How are claims settled?

If your claim is accepted, it will be settled with either a monetary payment or with a credit to your account.

How to file a claim

To file a claim against Union County Public Works, you will need to fill out a Citizen Claim Reporting Form, which can be found here. This form can be filled out and submitted online.

You can also pick up a form in person at our office. The address is:

Union County Public Works

500 North Main Street

Monroe, NC 28112

What is Union County responsible for repairing after digging?

Union County will ensure restorations are completed to the affected area and it is returned to its original condition with like materials. This includes grass, concrete, asphalt or gravel driveways, and sidewalks. For more information on yard restorations, click here.

What isn’t UCPW required to fix, replace, or reimburse after digging in an easement or right-of-way?

When you have a utility right-of-way and/or easement crossing your property, it is important that access by the County is not restricted. The County must be able to reach the infrastructure for routine maintenance and required repairs. The County is not responsible for the repair or replacement of any unauthorized items found in, located on, or limiting access to a right-of-way and/or easement. Items may include, but are not limited to:

• Lighting

• Irrigation systems

• Fencing, retaining walls

• Trees, shrubs, landscape materials

For more information on easements and right-of-ways, click here.