Skip to content

Food Protection and Lodging

Food Protection and Lodging

Food Preparation banner

What forms and applications does your establishment need?

You will need certain forms and applications depending on the type of business:


Residential Care

Restaurants and Food Service Establishments

Special Events

Mass Gatherings

Food Establishment Inspection Scores

Union County inspects food establishments to confirm compliance with the North Carolina Food Code. Food establishments are required to post their inspections score in a prominent place.

Inspection scores and notes are posted online.

Count on Me NC

Count on Me NC is a mutual commitment to keep everyone healthy and safe as restrictions due to COVID-19 are relaxed. This program is a collaboration between NC DHHS (DPH), NC State University, the NC Restaurant and Lodging Association, and VISIT NC (Tourism/Agritourism). The program is voluntary, free, and non-regulatory and includes training and best practice processes for food establishments (mangers, front of house, and back of house staff) to follow. This will aid in protecting employees as well as patrons from COVID-19.

Union County Environmental Health supports the Count on Me NC initiative and the program’s evidence-based COVID-19 training that was developed by public health officials and food safety experts. This initiative will provide a vital roadmap for reopening food establishments and other businesses during this challenging time. 

Log in to keep track of your favorite resources.

Contact information

Ellen Reynolds
Environmental Health Supervisor
Phone: 704-283-3826

Environmental Health Concerns in the Community

If you have a concern about an Environmental Health issue, please use the following link to request a follow-up.

Complaint Form

About Food protection and lodging

Environmental Health Specialists in the Food, Lodging and Institutions Program conduct plan review, permitting and inspections of businesses that prepare and serve food. These facilities include restaurants, food stands, mobile food units, push carts, temporary food establishments, limited food service operations and others. Plan review, permitting and inspections are also performed on facilities such as hotels, motels, bed and breakfast inns, residential care homes, nursing homes, adult day care facilities, tattoo artists and public swimming pools.