Skip to content

Fire Marshal's Office

In the event of an emergency, call 911.

Fire Marshal's Office

Click on the map for information about fire department locations and districts.

COVID-19: How do I calculate the emergency maximum occupancy for my business?

To reference guidance for specific business types, view the NCDHHS Phase 2 Guidance. If you are unsure about your normal maximum occupancy and cannot locate your occupant load certificate, use the formula in the NCDHHS guidance to calculate your emergency maximum occupancy.

How can I apply for a burning permit?

Burning permits can be obtained online through the North Carolina Forestry Service. Please contact our Emergency Communications Center at 704-289-1591 and let them know you have obtained a burn permit and will be burning.

How can I find out what I am allowed to burn?

In some areas of Union County, open burning is allowed under the regulations of the North Carolina Division of Air Quality; however in some areas, open burning is not allowed. Municipalities where open burning is prohibited are as follows: Monroe, Wingate, Marshville, Indian Trail, Waxhaw and Stallings. Reasons why open burning is prohibited in the aforementioned municipalities range from trash collection being provided to the municipality having an ordinance against open burning.

Open burning is allowed in the following areas of Union County, provided that you adhere to the regulations set forth by the Division of Air Quality: Fairview, Unionville, Hemby Bridge, Marvin, Mineral Springs, Weddington, Wesley Chapel and unincorporated Union County. The North Carolina Division of Air Quality maintains regulations on what can be burnt. If someone is burning something that you feel is not allowed, you can review the North Carolina Open Burning Regulations.

How can I help prevent fires?

There are many ways to prevent starting a fire, which include but are not limited to:

  • Schedule a fire inspection; call a member of the Fire Marshal's office
  • Always have portable fire extinguishers handy and know how to use them.
  • Make sure there are heat and smoke detectors throughout your residence and make sure the battery works for each one; remember to check the detectors monthly and change batteries every six months.

How can I establish an escape route in my home?

For information about planning an escape route in your home in case of fire, visit the FEMA website.

Union County provides public education programs at daycares, schools and businesses throughout the county. Contact any of the Fire Marshal’s Office staff for more information on upcoming events or to set up an event.

Popular Resources

Fire District Map Fire Investigation Request

Union County Fire Departments

NC Forestry Service Permit

Fire Prevention Permit Fee Schedule

Pyrotechnics Permit

Pyrotechnics Procedures

Permit Application


Blasting Permit Application Procedure


Contact Information

Kevin Rigoli
Fire Marshal
805 Skyway Drive
Monroe, NC 28112

Office Phone: 704-296-4296
Cell Phone: 980-699-8962

Additional Contact Information

Jon Williams
Deputy Fire Marshal
Phone: 704-283-3515

Wyatte McBryde
Assistant Fire Marshal
Phone: 704-283-3515

Zeb Mullis
Assistant Fire Marshal
Phone: 704-283-3515

Ashley Riggins
Assistant Fire Marshal
Phone: 704-283-3515

John Helms III
Assistant Fire Marshal
Phone: 704-283-3515

About the Fire Marshal's Office

The Union County Fire Marshal’s Office has a primary responsibility of enforcing the North Carolina Fire Prevention Code that requires commercial occupancies be inspected on an arranged schedule depending on the occupancy type. In addition, the Fire Marshal’s Office handles safety concerns reported by the public and reviews building plans and fire protection equipment. During the building process, we work closely with our Building Code Enforcement Division. The Fire Marshal’s Office also conducts investigations into the origin and cause of fires. During investigations we may work with a number of different agencies that include: local Fire Departments, Sheriff’s Office, local Police Departments, North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. We are a partner in the Union County Safe Kids Coalition, which provides a variety of safety training and activities throughout the year.