Skip to content

Building Code Enforcement

Building Code Enforcement

Public Notice

Currently, due to the high volume of inspection requests, Building Code Enforcement is experiencing a backlog of up to three (3) days from the requested date of an inspection until the performed date.

If an occupied residence is scheduled for an inspection, please note a number on the inspection request that the inspector should call prior to arriving. This will prevent a homeowner from waiting at the residence for the inspector to arrive.

Your patience in this matter is greatly appreciated. Any questions should be addressed to Mark Griffin at 704-283-3643.

By clicking the above, registered users can apply for a permit online or register to be able to apply online. To manually submit a permit application in person please click the desired application form below.

How do I obtain a building permit?

To begin this process, three considerations must be addressed. These considerations are water and sewer, zoning and applicable codes.

Water and sewer may be regulated by Union County Public Works, Environmental Health or a combination of the two agencies.

Adherence to the NC Building Code is mandated by the Building Code Enforcement Division.

To secure a residential building permit you must submit a completed building permit application. Forms are available online via the link below or in our office. Along with this application you must either have an accessibility letter from Public Works of Sewer and/or Water (this letter may be required to come from the appropriate planning jurisdiction),or a septic permit or septic waiver from Environmental Health,. You will also need zoning approval (parcels under the jurisdiction of the County will be handled in our office), lien agent and workers comp information (if the job is over $30,000).

Cost of a residential permit is based upon square footage, (heated and/or unheated). Please reference the fee schedule listed in the popular resources section below.

How does zoning work?

The Zoning Administrator is responsible for the enforcement and administration of the Union County Development Ordinance which governs the use of property, setbacks from property lines, violations of the ordinance and floodplain for unincorporated Union County. The Zoning Administrator is also part of the commercial plan review of buildings being constructed within the County's jurisdiction.

Union County’s zoning jurisdiction does not include the following cities, towns and villages:

For more information about zoning in those jurisdictions please contact them directly. You can find their contact information in the Development Guide.

Where can I find information about building codes?

What other Union County webpages will assist in understanding building code and procedures?

Popular Resources



Union County Building Code Enforcement

500 N. Main St., Ste 47
Monroe, NC 28112

Phone: 704-283-3816
Fax: 704-292-2513

Email the Permit Center

Building Code Enforcement 

Building Code Enforcement Director

Mark Griffin
Building Code Enforcement Director
Phone: 704-283-3643

Code Enforcement Supervisors

Commercial Building, Plumbing & Mechanical

Jesse Langston

Residential Building, Plumbing & Mechanical

Rick Wilkerson

Commercial & Residential Electrical

Steven Stack

Commercial Inspectors

Commercial Building, Plumbing & Mechanical

Residential Inspectors