Skip to content

Union County, North Carolina

Image banner

Clerk of Courts

Clerk of Superior Court

J.R. Rowell
Phone: 704-698-3100
Fax: 704-698-3101


Phone: 704-292-2746

See full contact directory

What clinical services do we provide?

  • Children’s Health
  • Women’s Health
  • General Health
  • WIC
  • Medical Records

What community services do we provide?

  • ABC (About Breast Cancer)
  • Breast Feeding Peer Counselor
  • Care Coordination for Children
  • Child Care Health Consultant Program
  • Community Health Education
  • Parenting with a Purpose
  • Pregnancy Care Management
  • Public Health Preparedness
  • Vital Records

What are Union County’s privacy practices?

All patient services are confidential as required by North Carolina and federal law.

Communicable Disease Control Program

Communicable disease is defined as "illness due to a specific infectious agent or its toxic products that arises through transmission of that agent or its products from an infected person, animal, or reservoir to a susceptible host, either directly or indirectly through an intermediate plant or animal host, vector, or the inanimate environment." Communicable disease pathogens include bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and prions.

Communicable diseases can have a significant impact on the population. The surveillance and control of such diseases is an important part of protecting the public's health. The Communicable Disease program primarily deals with infectious diseases that are reportable by law.

The program also deals with other communicable diseases of public health significance, such as:

  • Influenza
  • Norovirus infection
  • Certain healthcare-associated infections.

For additional information please visit the NC Communicable Disease website.

The program responsibilities include:

  • Monitoring disease outbreaks
  • Monitoring reportable disease rates
  • Providing education to the public and medical community to prevent the spread of disease
  • Implementation of and enforcement of control measures to prevent the spread of infection.
  • Control and prevention of rabies and other diseases of animal origin that can affect humans.

Rabies is a vaccine preventable disease in humans, dogs, cats and ferrets as well as some domestic livestock. All mammals are susceptible to rabies and it is nearly always fatal. Rabies can be prevented in humans with timely and appropriate treatment. In North Carolina the disease most often occurs in wild animals especially skunks, raccoons, bats and foxes. Raccoon rabies is present in the raccoon population in virtually every North Carolina county. For additional information on Rabies please visit:

STD Health Services

STD and HIV prevention and control services includes providing clinical services, education and awareness efforts and monitoring disease trends through surveillance and epidemiology. STD Clinic provides testing, treatment and education at no cost to the client for:

  • Syphilis
  • Gonorrhea
  • Chlamydia
  • HIV / AIDS
  • Other sexually transmitted infections

NC DHHS STD/ HIV Information for Individuals and Families


Our Immunization Clinic provides vaccines to people of all ages, including those traveling internationally. Public Health offers vaccines for preventable diseases to reduce the spread of vaccine-preventable diseases within Union County. The following vaccines are offered through our immunization clinic:

  • Gardasil
  • Hepatitis A (Adult) – 2 shot series
  • Hepatitis A (Pediatric)
  • Hepatitis B – 3 shot series
  • Meningococcal Vaccine
  • MMR
  • Twinrix – 3 shot series
  • Pentacel
  • Typhoid
  • Polio
  • Varicella
  • Tdap
  • Yellow Fever

In addition to vaccines, Blood Titer testing is available for the following:

Spanish Immunization Schedule (adults)

International Travel Immunizations

With the mission of public health to promote health, prevent disease and protect the community, International Travel Immunizations allow us to assist those traveling internationally the opportunity for disease protection. A Registered Nurse will review travel itinerary, provide immunization education and vaccination(s). A Vaccination record will be provided to you for your records.

Union County Lost and Found Pets

Online Search Instructions

Performance Guarantee Review Application

Social Services

Social Services

What services does Union County provide?

Union County strives to support its residents regardless of age or background with the goal of helping anyone in need to achieve a safe and stable life in our community.

General services include:

  • Child Welfare Services
    • Child Protective Services
    • In-Home Services
    • Foster Care Services
    • Prevention/After Care Services
    • Adoptions
  • Shelter Care
  • Adult Care
  • Elderly Nutrition

We also provide opportunities to donate time and resources to support these services for those who are interested in and able to help.

What financial assistance programs are available?

Whether it is a federal, state or county program, Union County assists qualifying residents with finding resources that will help to maintain financial stability and meet basic needs. Applicants may apply in person Monday – Friday from 8.00 a.m. until 5.00 p.m. at the Division of Social Services.

Applicants for FNS and Medicaid may apply online at

  • Medicaid – A federal and state funded program designed to secure health insurance coverage for individuals and families to assist with prescriptions, medical bills, hospital charges and nursing home care. There are many types of Medicaid with varying income limits and resource limits. Your caseworker will explain these to you and the requirements to qualify.
  • Food and Nutrition Assistance (FNS) – Also known as the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) provides an electronic benefit card (EBT) for low income families to purchase groceries. Families must meet income, resource, citizenship and work requirements.
  • Child Day Care – Financial support is available to help cover childcare costs for eligible families. This program informs parents how to choose a safe, quality child care arrangement. The program is income based and families must have a childcare need to be eligible.
  • Work First – Provides financial and resource support to parents while they complete the Employment Service Program and find employment. Work First may also provide financial assistance to children who live with a caretaker relative.
  • Crisis Intervention Program/Share the Warmth/LIEAP – Helps to cover the cost of heating and cooling in the home during a family crisis.
  • Program Integrity – Detects and prevents fraud, waste and program abuse in the Medicaid Program and the Food and Nutrition Program.
  • Emergency Assistance - This program is designed to assist a family or individual during a crisis to prevent a potentially larger and more costly crisis from occurring. By proactively providing support, additional issues can potentially be avoided.

Residents may access specific information about Medicaid and check their own eligibility status at

Residents may find more information about Food and Nutrition Services at:

How can I make a donation?

Union County accepts many types of financial and in-kind donations year-round including sports equipment, games, arts and crafts, accessories, books, outer-wear and clothing.

The County also hosts a variety of events throughout the year where residents can donate items or money to help support specific programs.

  • Back to School Drive – Individuals and groups can sign up in May and June to collect school supplies that will be given to children in the following fall.
  • Christmas Bureau – Help us support over 2,000 families over the holiday season by donating Christmas gifts, warm clothing, food for Christmas dinner and food for children during their time off from school. Donate individual items or sponsor a family, food drive, gift tree or stocking-stuffer.
  • Easter Baskets – In early spring, individuals and groups can create Easter baskets that will be distributed the week prior to Easter to children in the area.

For more information or to make a donation, contact Volunteer Coordinator Gloria Haney at 704-296-4312 or

What volunteer opportunities are available?

Throughout the year, Union County relies on volunteers to help with social service programs including food distribution, transportation services for medical and foster care needs, filing taxes, animal-care and more. Examples include:

  • Christmas Bureau – Become one of the hundreds of individuals, groups and families that come together October through December to provide assistance to local families in need during the Christmas season. Volunteer roles include administrative, volunteer coordination and sorting and distributing donations.
  • VITA Program – The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) provides free tax assistance to families with an income less than $54,000 per year. Volunteers are required to complete an IRS tax course and successfully pass an exam to volunteer.
  • Internships – There are many opportunities to intern with Union County to gain applicable work experience while helping the community thrive.

For more information or to sign-up to volunteer, contact Volunteer Coordinator Gloria Haney at 704-296-4312 or

Log in to keep track of your favorite resources.

Contact information

Mailing Address:
PO Box 489
Monroe, NC 28111

1212 W. Roosevelt Blvd
Monroe, NC 28110

Phone: 704-296-4300
Fax: 704-296-6151

Department Staff



Food and Nutrition/Child Care Subsidy/Adult Medicaid Programs:

Earl Ford
Program Administrator

Family and Children's Medicaid/Work First Eligibility Programs

Steve Ramsey
Program Administrator

Program Integrity/Quality Assurance

Mary Causebrook
Program Manager

Crisis Assessment/Work First Program/Adult Services

Monica Smith
Program Administrator

Children's Services

Lisa Kawyn
Program Administrator

About Social Services

The Union County Division of Social Services works to enable community members and their families to support themselves and to provide care and protection for all populations, as needed.

Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.